Reporting an Incident

If you experience sexual misconduct of any kind, you are likely to have many concerns and questions, including what your options are for reporting and responding to the incident.  Friends and family members may have strong feelings about what you should do, but there is no right or wrong way to respond.  Whatever you choose, it is important that you do what makes you comfortable.

There are a number of reporting options available to you.  It is important to understand that choosing one option does not preclude you from pursuing another option now or in the future.  Your Title IX Coordinator can discuss your various options with you.

Confidential Reporting Resources

An individual who wishes for the details of an incident to remain completely confidential may speak with certain College officials who, by law, must maintain confidentiality and may not disclose the details of an incident, except as required by law.  These officials include:

Monsour Counseling and Psychological Services staff
Tranquada Student Services Center, 1st floor
757 College Way
Claremont, CA 91711
909-621-8202, 909-607-2000 (after-hours emergency)

Members of the clergy including the McAlister Center chaplains
McAlister Center for Religious Activities
919 North Columbia Avenue
Claremont, CA 91711

Please note, some individuals may be required to report statistical information only, no personally identifiable information, in order for the College’s to comply with crime reporting laws such as the Clery Act.  In addition, individuals may also seek confidential support from a local or national crisis hotline.

On Campus Reporting

If you would like to pursue resolution on campus you should speak with your Title IX Coordinator for information about your college’s grievance procedures, support resources, and interim measures.  Your college’s policy and grievance procedures can be found here as well as the policies and grievance procedures for all seven of The Claremont Colleges.  Reporting avenues may vary from institution to institution. Consult your institution’s grievance procedures for information specific to your institution.

Off Campus Reporting

You are encouraged to pursue all of your options for responding to and resolving a complaint of sexual misconduct, both on and off campus.  You are encouraged to report potentially criminal activity to the police.  Both on and off campus options can be pursued simultaneously now or in the future.

Reporting Potential Criminal Violations to the Police:  In cases involving potential criminal misconduct, individuals are encouraged to file a report with the police department which has jurisdiction over the location where the incident occurred.  If the conduct is reported to one of the colleges, the college will inform the individual of their right to file a police report and will provide assistance in doing so if the individual wishes for assistance.  In cases where the complainant is a minor, under the age of 18, the college will notify the police and will cooperate as appropriate with any external investigation.  If you would like assistance in reporting an assault to the police, contact your Title IX Coordinator or Campus Safety.

The colleges’ grievance procedures and the legal system work independently from one another and the colleges will proceed with its process, regardless of action or inaction by outside authorities.  If a police investigation is initiated, the colleges will pause an investigation briefly at the request of the police to facilitate their initial evidence gathering.  Decisions made or sanctions imposed by one of the college’s grievance procedures are not subject to change because criminal or civil charges which arise from the same conduct are dismissed, reduced, or rejected in favor of or against the respondent.

In cases involving potential criminal misconduct, the colleges encourage individuals to report the conduct to the law enforcement agency which has jurisdiction over the location where the incident occurred.  Members of the Dean of Students staff are available to assist individuals in contacting the police or other appropriate law enforcement agency.  In certain instances, the college may need to report conduct to law enforcement authorities even when the subject of the conduct has not done so.  Such circumstances include when the subject of the conduct is a minor (under the age of 18), when there is clear and imminent danger or risk to the individual and/or the college community, and/or when a weapon may be involved. The decision to report an incident to law enforcement will be shared with the complainant.

Reporting to State and Federal Enforcement Agencies:  In addition to the College’s internal remedies, employees and students should also be aware that the Federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (“EEOC”) and the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (“DFEH”) investigate and prosecute complaints of prohibited harassment and discrimination in employment.  These agencies may be contacted at the addresses listed below:

EEOC Los Angeles District Office
255 East Temple Street, 4th Floor
Los Angeles, CA  90012

DFEH Los Angeles Office
611 W. Sixth Street, Suite 1500
Los Angeles, CA  90017

Reporting to the Police:
The Claremont Police Department
Emergencies: dial 9-1-1
909-399-5411 (non-emergency number)
570 West Bonita Avenue
Claremont, CA 91711
Lobby Hours: 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., 7 days a week

Students also have the right to file a formal complaint with the United States Department of Education:

Office for Civil Rights (OCR)
Beale Street, Suite 7200
San Francisco, CA